Covid-19 is a respiratory illness transmitted from person to person through direct contact from respiratory droplets from an infected person when he sneezes. However, there is still no evidence that covid-19 can be transmitted from food or food packaging.
Covid-19 virus, can be killed at high temperatures similar to other known viruses and bacteria found in food like meat, poultry and eggs. As, for fruits and vegetables their consumption should be encouraged and we don’t have any evidences that shows that fruits and vegetables can transmit covid-19, however, treat fruits and vegetables the same way you would in any circumstances, wash them properly before eating it raw.
What about garlic and ginger?
These foods have anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties, but they are not directly linked to treat or protect us from covid-19.
Can micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) prevent covid-19?
Not really, no guidance that micronutrients can protect us from covid-19, however, micronutrients are critical for the wellbeing of our immune system and having them from a balanced and diverse diet is crucial.
How to prepare for Covid-19:
- Prepare a list for the basic supplies that you need for at least 2 weeks. Like non- perishable items, household products and prescription medicines.
- Try to get these items delivered to you
- Make a list for emergency numbers and share it with your family members or neighbors.
- If possible, prepare a separate room or space for anyone who shows symptoms compatible to covid-19
Stay healthy during covid-19:
- Keep your daily routine (meals times, sleep, wake ups)
- Stay socially connected by video calls and cellphones.
- Be physically active
- Drink water and eat healthy food
- Take breaks from news coverage
- Learn something new