The Sirtfood diet has become as popular as the Cabbage Soup diet and Dukan diet
Sirtfood is actually food high in sirtuin activators, as per the nutritionist Rob Hobson. Sirtuins are a type of protein which protect the cells in our bodies from dying or becoming inflamed through illness, research has also shown that they can help regulate metabolism, increase muscle and burn fat.
What to eat on the Sirtfood Diet?
The Sirtfood Diet plan focuses on increasing your intake of healthy sirtfoods which are high in sirtiun activators. These include the following:
- Citrus fruits
- Red wine
- Dark chocolate
- Medjool dates
- Green tea
- Olive oil
- Red onion
Sirtfood Diet plan
- Limit your intake to 1000 calories a day
- Drink three sirtfood green juices a day
- Eat one sirtfood rich meal a day.
- Increase your intake to 1500 calories a day
- Drink two sirtfood green juices a day
- Eat two sirtfood-rich meals a day.
In this diet, it’s all about adjusting your lifestyle to include as many sirtfoods as possible, which should make you feel healthier and more energetic.
However, dieting in a way to cut out entire food groups could be dangerous. The idea of switching on your ‘skinny gene’ is not really backed up by very strong research. The Sirtfood diet is pretty restrictive in terms of both foods and calories.
Who shouldn’t try the Sirtfood diet?
It is not recommended to anyone with diabetes to try the diet. Plus, it may be hard to achieve if you’re highly active.
- Light-headedness in the first stage of this plan as your body adapts to the lower calorie intake.
The Sirtfood Juice
- 75g kale
- 30g rocket
- 5g parsley
- 150g green celery, including its leaves
- ½ medium green apple
- ½ lemon juice
- ½ level tsp matcha green tea
- Mix the greens (kale, rocket, parsley) together, then juice them. You will end up with about 50ml of juice from the greens.
- Now juice the celery and apple.
- Squeeze the lemon into the juice.
- You should have around 250ml of juice in total.
- It is only when the juice is made and ready to serve that you add the matcha green tea.
- We only use matcha in the first two drinks of the day as it contains moderate amounts of caffeine.