A vegan person is a person who avoids in his diet all animal products such as beef, poultry, fish, dairy, eggs and even he avoids gelatin and honey.
Vegan diet includes all kind of grains, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds and legumes.
Basically, anyone can follow a vegan diet such as children, teens or even pregnant women.
However, vegan diet lacks some nutrients taken from animal products, such as vitamin B12, iron and zinc found in meat or calcium and vitamin D found in dairies. Therefore, a well-planned vegan diet should be high in fiber, antioxidant and vitamins.
Sources of vitamin B12 can be soy or TVP (Textured vegetables protein), iron can be found in dark leafy vegetables, beans, cereals and dried fruits. Zinc in whole grains and seeds. Calcium in dark leafy vegetables and rice drinks, vitamin D is added in soft margarine and fortified beverages and as for the omega 3 it is found in flax seeds and walnuts.
So, yes we have a broad range of animal product replacements for vegan people and they can even substitute gelatin with agar-agar and honey with maple syrup.
This mushroom Stew is your greatest comforting vegan stew and it is also incredibly low in calories!
PREP TIME 20 mins
COOK TIME 40 mins
TOTAL TIME 1 hr
CALORIES 184 kcal
- 250g diced carrots
- 250g baby onion
- 850g mushrooms cut into big pieces (I used Portobello’s)
- 1 cup vegetable stock (about 250 ml)
- ¾ cup red wine (about 185 ml)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 pinch fresh-thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- Remove the top and tail of the baby-onions.
- Cut carrots into small cubes or if you used baby carrots don’t forget to remove the top and tail
- Heat the oil in a sauce-pan then add baby onions followed by baby carrots and mushrooms.
- Cook over a moderate heat for 10 minutes, then add minced garlic
- Keep on cooking until mushrooms become tender and carrots become rather hard.
- Add the red-wine and simmer for a couple of minutes, then add the the stock, tomato paste, bay leaves and spices.
- Move the mixture to an oven-safe casserole or Pyrex. Cover with foil then bake at 180°C for 40 minutes, or till the onions and carrots are cooked to your liking.
- Adjust your seasoning.
- Serve and enjoy!
|How Long Would It Take to Burn 184 calories Mushroom Stew?
|Cycling: 37 minutes
|Running: 24 minutes
|Cleaning: 1.4 Hours